Wednesday, January 24, 2018

Dance your heart out

Last night I went out to see live music and dance. I've been an avid concert goer since my teenage years and it always brings joy to my heart. Making the time and effort to do things I enjoy is important to my healing. With recent struggles to set boundaries I haven't had much social interaction. Rebuilding the strength to try again for new friends or reconnecting with old ones. An unfortunate circumstance of our society is the expectation that talking to someone carries intent for more then that immediate moment of conversation. That time spent with someone carries intent for more than friendship. One of the boundaries I didn't even realized I needed to set was not allowing someone to project their own insecurities on me. I kept kindly reminding them no, your assumptions are incorrect, but never used a firm tone or gave them consequences for continued attempts to convince me I am someone I'm not. Boundaries aren't just about saying no. It's also about not giving people my time who don't deserve it, not allowing people to make me feel like I have to constantly explain myself to be accepted. It doesn't matter what anyone says or does. I am still me, I am still free. Don't be afraid to take care of yourself. It has to come before challenging your comfort zone and fears.

No comments:

Post a Comment