Tuesday, February 11, 2014

Don't confuse me with those girls from the movies.

Rarely do I get exposed to commercials, but tonight on hulu I saw the same jewelry ad repeatedly. It kind of disgusted me, all these images trying to convince people that women want flowers, chocolates, jewelry. Anyone who gifts such things to me isn't really expressing any ounce of caring or interest in me, if they did they would gift something that is important to me specifically. A flower means you think I'm able to be bought, that I'll be impressed by the shallow conditioned gesture and do whatever you are hoping for. I've excepted chocolate and cheesy valentines from a confused boy not knowing how to make his obviously unhappy (now ex)girlfriend feel better, and while the attempt was sweet in a pitiful way, it was a failure. I think even the women who have let themselves be convinced that these are the things they want can feel the emptiness that remains. 

To quote Marz "Diamonds on your neck can't replace an empty chest."

No comments:

Post a Comment